Friday, September 02, 2011

~ A Big Hole In Our Pockets ~

Zul and I have 2 external HD, one was the old one and another is quite new. The old one, Seagate 160GB was kaput it has no light blinking and no sound at all.. I was so disappointed because Ammar's picture collections since the day he was born were saved on that disk and we didn't have any backup, our PC had also been reformatted due to virus attack <-- blamed it on hubby since he is the one who using it daily. 

We sent the external HD to 2 computer shops, both tried using new cable and they said nothing can be done and  no data can be recovered. Refused to loose the precious data, I googled everything on the net about data recovery and and found several company who offered the service. I chose the most reliable one based on customer testimonials, company profile, news update and blog and also their profile and sent an online quotation by giving details of my HD problem. The service was good, I received a call on the next morning giving me some explanation and they quoted me at RM750 !! Yes, that expensive! Believe me reformatting HD or repairing computer's hardware is a far cry from what a data recovery means.

After several days of discussion with hubby we decided to courier our external HD to the company which in KL for preliminary inspection. I didn't have much time to send quotation to several other company to compare prices since Ammar was admitted to hospital. In our mind, we really wanted the data to be recovered regardless how much we need to pay (still.. RM750 is a big amount of money). Several days later we got good news, the data can be 95% recovered so we gave them permission to proceed and made payment. We got the recovered data couriered in a brand new external HD.

I did some google a week later and found some data recovery companies in Penang which quite reliable and the prices start as low at RM500, don't know in my case should it be less than RM750 or not but I have no regret. The important part is I already have everything back including Ammar 1st picture. I'm gonna need some time to go through all folders to choose which one to be printed as precaution that the same thing will happen in future. Lesson learned! Rasa macam CSI pulak using this data recovery company services.

Huhu.. I still can't believe we both paid for this! I could buy another Coach handbag with this amount of money :(
Why data recovery is so expensive? Here are some info that I got while I did some research..
ADRC - No, I didn't send mine here, just surfing for info
Data Doctors - Not this one too..

2 comments:

Lady said...

hohoho. next time (if happen again la kan), hang buleh contact cybersecurity malaysia (seri kembangan jaa). they offer good price. way cheaper than 500. they even have student price. how's that kan. hehehe

~wan mai

Dusty Pixie said...

huhu noted, harus la cari yg murah lagi.. tp xmo la jadik dah :P